Universe is a 'yajna' an evolutionary sacrifice in which one form sacrifices to build more complex forms. But it is not one yajna. There are five Yajnas running one inside another in the Universe, according to Brhadharanyaka Upanishad. Each of these Yajna has a 'Purusha', the observer, a 'Pazu' that is sacrificed and evolving (called Prakrti or Stri, the evolute).
This observer or witness or sAksi (puruSa) driving the evolution of evolute (prakRti) is a design pattern across these five yajnas. What are those five yajnas..? In my understanding they are
1. Energy evolution : Dark energy driving the evolution of energy. Here Dark energy that expands the Universe is the puruSa, Energy that undergoes transformation is prakRti or pazu or the 'stri'
2. Particle evolution: Dark matter driving the evolution of quantum states of matter. Here Dark matter is the puruSa, matter that undergoes transformation is prakRti or pazu or the stri.
3. Matter evolution: Bending/Curvature of spacetime due to energy/mass, called Gravitational force, catalyzes the evolution of classical states of matter. This is the puruSa. Elements that undergo transformation is prakRti or pazu or stri.
4. Biological evolution: Thermal energy or Heat catalyzes the evolution of biological beings with consciousness. This thermal energy are the puruSa. Biological structures that undergo transformation are prakRti or pazu or stri.
5. Consciousness evolution: Manas-sAksi drives the evolution of consciousness. Here conscience or manas-sAksi or witness is the puruSa. Manas or thoughts that control our actions are the prakRti or pazu or stri.
This design pattern of observer driving evolution (puruSa-prakrti) is from different scriptures across Brhadharanyaka Upanishad, mandukya upanishad, saMkhya kArika, vAkyapaidya et al.
The design pattern in 'evolution' of the 'evolute'
Beyond observer driving evolution, there is also a design pattern in how the evolution of the prakRti or evolute happens. It happens in four stages across all domains or all the five yajnas.
saMkhya kArika talks about this evolution of prakRti or evolute, as happening in four steps which are 'manas', 'citta', 'ahamkara' and 'indriyas'.
mAndukya upanishad talks about this evolution as happening as in four steps as 'Sarvajnna', 'ekibhuta prajna', antah-prajna and bAhis-prajna. Rgveda also talks about this evolution as the four-fold vAk.
According to Brhathari's vAkyapadiya, the expression of human language, which conveys information content or knowledge, is based on the same design pattern as the expression of Universe by that 'Atman' or 'Para' that exists beyond everything. Brhathari's vAkyapadiya talks about the design pattern of human language or expression (vAk) as in four steps, which are Para, pazyanti, madhyama and vaikhari.